What is the Québec Health Record ?
The legal framework
In June 2012, The Quebec National Assembly adopted the Act respecting the sharing of certain health information which defines the legal and regulatory framework under which the Québec Health Record (QHR) operates. Certain articles of this act are already effective, while others will take effect progressively.
Before the adoption of this act, the deployment of the QHR was under the guidance of decree 404-2008, of April 28, 2008, which defined the Conditions of implementation of the second phase of the Experimental Project Québec Health Record It was within this framework that the deployment of the QHR was begun, in 2008, in the Capitale-Nationale region.
Later, decrees 757-2009 of June 18, 2009 and 566-2010 of June 23, 2010 defined the Conditions of implementation of the second phase of the Experimental Project Québec Health Record permitting the progressive deployment of the QHR in the regions of L’Estrie (2011), Lanaudière (2011), and Montreal (2012).
The six areas of the Québec Health Record
The Act respecting the sharing of certain health information permits the QHR to collect, keep, and permit the consultation of the health information that is in 6 domains.
The information gathered in each domain
- first, only prescribed medications that are given in a pharmacy will be collected; medication sold under pharmaceutical control or for research purpose would also be collected later on.
- the results of lab analyses;
- at the beginning, only results from public health care facilities would be collected; those of private labs would be collected later on.
Medical imaging domain
- the results of medical imaging exams (X-rays, scans, MRI's, etc.);
- at the beginning, only results from public health care facilities would be gathered; those of private radiology labs would be collected later on.
- administered vaccines.
Hospital summary domain
- the summary kept by the treating doctor after a hospitalization.
Allergy and intolerance domain
- allergies and intolerances.
See also the section Available information