How does the Québec Health Record function?
The Québec Health Record (QHR) is a highly-secure technological environment which permits the collection, conservation, and consultation of certain health information.
Essentially, the QHR is composed of:
- organisations where the information is produced (pharmacies, clinics, labs, imaging services or clinics) and which are authorized to supply the information banks;
- health information banks where the health information that is collected from users is kept under unique identification numbers;
- data banks which are used to identify the people and the organisations that are authorized to contribute to or consult information;
- data banks which are used to identify users who are part of the régime d'assurance maladie du Québec and the people who have refused to participate in the QHR;
- powerful and highly-secure computer links which are used to connect the data banks of the QHR to the people and organizations who are authorized to gather information or consult the QHR;
- security measure systems which are used to protect the information banks and the computer links;
- controlled security access mechanisms.
Consult the illustration of How does the QHR work (french only)